Useful Information/FAQs

How can I get the cheapest deal for house oil?

Several people in the village have joined to benefit from group discounts [‘together we all save more’]. The minimum order is for 500 litres.

How can I get faster broadband?

The ‘broadband’ in Anstey is narrow and slow, arriving as it does via BT on copper wires from the Barkway exchange. Despite plans to upgrade large areas of rural Hertforshire there are, according to the Connected Counties website, no immediate plans to run a fibre cable to the village. The Parish Council is investigating the feasibility of having a wireless mast in the village, though subscription costs could be high unless an overwhelming majority of the village subscribes.

How can I get the best mobile reception?

Again, this remains an issue, owing to our distance from the nearest mast. No mobile provider offers good reception in the village, and it rather depends where you are as to which you should choose!

I need to reduce / remove mature trees on my property. Do I need permission?

Special provision applies to trees within the conservation areas. To see if your property falls within the Anstey Conservation Area contact the local planning authority: tel 01279 655261 ext 1537. You do not need permission if you want to work on trees less than 7.5 centimetres, measured 1.5 metres above the ground [or 10 cms if thinning to help the growth of other trees]. If in doubt, check with the local planning authority. The Arboricultural Officer, Environmental Services, is Malcolm Amey.

Please be aware that failure to comply with the regulations regarding protected trees can lead to a fine!

Where are the nearest doctors and dentists?

I haven’t a car but need transport to hospital. Who can I turn to?

Are there any clubs and societies in the village?